Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Halloween Grave Jello Cake

Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

This cake I made for my hubbys birthday a couple of years ago and thought you all would like to see it. It was tons of fun to make and I am considering making another one this year.

Ingredients
1 lg package of jello (dark red or purple or blue)
1 or 2 cake mixes (I used chocolate)
Whipping cream
Headstone (I found mine at walmart but you could just get foam and spray paint it black and touch it up with a little gray paint)
Candy (like candy corn, ghost peeps, candy pumpkins, worms)
Plastic skeletons (I also found these at walmart during halloween)
Plastic bugs (Unless you can find something to make bugs with out of candy)
1 bag coconut
food coloring

Instructions:
  1. bake your favorite cake according to directions in a 9x13 pan. You could do 2 cakes if you want and then stack them. I used betty crocker cake mixes cause I am lazy :) (I did chocolate so it looked more like dirt but whatever will do.
  2. let your cake cool. And remove them from the pan
  3. Stack your cakes. Make sure to put some frosting or whipping cream in the middle to hold them together.
  4. Cut out the center of your cake. If you are using 2 cakes then cut the entire center out of one of the cakes and don't cut the 2nd one. If you are only using one then cut down halfway through the cake. Cut so that you have 2-3 inches from the whole to the outside of the cake on the long ways and about an inch on the short ways. I think that you can tell from the picture.
  5. place a couple of skeletons and bugs into the hole that you have made
  6. Make jello (I used either grape or something dark and purple or red) according to directions. Let halfway set up in the fridge. Then pour jello into hole in cake. make sure to cover the skeletons unless you want a hand or something hanging out :)
  7. Frost cake with whipping cream (I make homemade stuff)
  8. Put 2 c. coconut in a container and a couple of drops of green food coloring in. Let the kids shake it until all the coconut is green
  9. Sprinkle the coconut onto the cake.
  10. Decorate with the candy and plastic bugs and skeletons
  11. I used the candy corn to line the outside of the cake.
  12. Now you have a great cake for halloween

If I missed something please let me know. I hope you enjoy making this really fun cake

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...